Search
Stolen NASCAR recovered in GeorgiaStolen NASCAR recovered in Georgia NBA dancer sinks no-look half-court shotNBA dancer sinks no-look half-court shot Maxwell’s choking taunt backfires in NZMaxwell’s choking taunt backfires in NZ
advertisement
Most popular articles
$10,000 up for grabsSign-up for NRL, AFL
and Rugby tipping
Remarkable Ronda: UFC fighters react to Rousey's perfect victoryRemarkable Ronda: UFC fighters react to Rousey's perfect victoryIn his first official statement since testing positive to steroids yesterday, UFC superstar Anderson Silva plans to fight the 'allegations' against him. Rousey the incredible: UFC champ defends title with 14 second  submission victoryRousey the incredible: UFC champ defends title with 14 second submission victoryWhen former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva tested positive for anabolic steroids today, his entire legacy as a prize fighter was called into question. A new Holm: 18 X boxing world champ successful in UFC debutA new Holm: 18 X boxing world champ successful in UFC debutAnderson Silva's doctor has said that the former UFC champion denies taking performance enhancing drugs, and wants to be tested again. Foaming at the mouth: Ellenberger submits Koscheck at UFC 184Foaming at the mouth: Ellenberger submits Koscheck at UFC 184Busted for PEDS today, you won't believe what former UFC champ Anderson Silva told Jon Jones (who recently tested positive to cocaine) at UFC 183. Aussie down: savage elbow drops Walsh at UFC 184Aussie down: savage elbow drops Walsh at UFC 184The MMA world is in shock after UFC 183 headliners Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz both tested positive to banned substances. Fighter reactions here. Brock Lesnar turns up to UFC 184, breaks the internetBrock Lesnar turns up to UFC 184, breaks the internetBoth Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz have failed drug tests following UFC 184. Silva tested positive for an anabolic steroid, while Diaz tested for marijuana.
Wide World of Sports TV partners
Footy ClassifiedOur award winning panel tell it how it really is in the AFL world.AFL Footy ShowAustralia's favourite team takes you through the week in AFL.Wide World of SportsCatch up with Ken Sutcliffe and the team on Wide World of Sports.NRL Footy ShowFatty and the gang bring you an entertaining look at rugby league.
Skipper in shock after AFL Magpies' loss
Greg Buckle
10:32 AEST Sun Sep 8 2013

Collingwood captain Nick Maxwell says 2013 has been a wasted season due to their 24-point loss to Port Adelaide in the AFL elimination final at the MCG on Saturday night.

Some of the key stats showed the Magpies were in control but they couldn't counter Port's youthful enthusiasm as last year's 14th-placed side surged into next weekend's semi-final with Geelong, leaving Collingwood to lick their wounds over post-season drinks.

A shocked Maxwell accused his side of butchering the ball.

"In the end it's just a feeling of shock. We don't even feel disappointed yet," Maxwell told reporters in a very quiet Collingwood change room.

"We won clearances by a mile, contested possessions, inside-50s by a mile and we lost the game.

"You don't come to an elimination final expecting to be in this position.

"Steele (Sidebottom) was kicking for an eight-point lead halfway through that (final) quarter and he missed and in the end they just over-ran us.

"It wasn't the last 15 minutes that killed us. It was the first 100 when we didn't use the ball well enough and we wasted opportunities going forward.

"Unfortunately we just butchered the ball.

"We've got to sit back and watch the next three weeks so (it's) definitely a failed season."

It's the first time since 2006 that Collingwood, plagued by injuries this season, haven't reached the second week of the finals.

Maxwell said Josh Thomas, Marley Williams, Ben Sinclair and Lachie Keeffe were developing well along with small forward Jamie Elliott.

However question marks remain over the playing futures of veterans such as small forwards Alan Didak and Andrew Krakouer.

"I've got no idea what the status of all those guys are," Maxwell said.

"I've signed a one-year deal so that's where I sit," added Maxwell, 30.

The 2010 premiership captain said the Magpies had gone into this season shooting for a flag.

"For the last five years we've gone in expecting to be a premiership contender," he said.