Search
Track star suffers faceplant fallTrack star suffers faceplant fall Video game lets golfers kill deerVideo game lets golfers kill deer Everyone fooled by Lacrosse trick playEveryone fooled by Lacrosse trick play
advertisement
Most popular articles
$10,000 up for grabsSign-up for NRL, AFL
and Rugby tipping
Sports Illustrated: behind the scenes with Ronda RouseySports Illustrated: behind the scenes with Ronda RouseyIn his first official statement since testing positive to steroids yesterday, UFC superstar Anderson Silva plans to fight the 'allegations' against him. 'I don’t like this fight. I don’t want to fight him,' says Arlovski on Browne clash 'I don’t like this fight. I don’t want to fight him,' says Arlovski on Browne clash When former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva tested positive for anabolic steroids today, his entire legacy as a prize fighter was called into question. Aussie return: Kyle Noke books next fight at UFC AdelaideAussie return: Kyle Noke books next fight at UFC AdelaideAnderson Silva's doctor has said that the former UFC champion denies taking performance enhancing drugs, and wants to be tested again. UFC's Rousey scores the only free ticket to Mayweather vs. PacquiaoUFC's Rousey scores the only free ticket to Mayweather vs. PacquiaoBusted for PEDS today, you won't believe what former UFC champ Anderson Silva told Jon Jones (who recently tested positive to cocaine) at UFC 183. UFC queen Ronda Rousey lands starring role in action film 'Mile 22' UFC queen Ronda Rousey lands starring role in action film 'Mile 22' The MMA world is in shock after UFC 183 headliners Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz both tested positive to banned substances. Fighter reactions here. Bellator files court injunction to nix 'Rampage' Jackson's UFC return Bellator files court injunction to nix 'Rampage' Jackson's UFC return Both Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz have failed drug tests following UFC 184. Silva tested positive for an anabolic steroid, while Diaz tested for marijuana.
Wide World of Sports TV partners
Footy ClassifiedOur award winning panel tell it how it really is in the AFL world.AFL Footy ShowAustralia's favourite team takes you through the week in AFL.NRL Footy ShowFatty and the gang bring you an entertaining look at rugby league.Wide World of SportsCatch up with Ken Sutcliffe and the team on Wide World of Sports.
Singleton can be asked to name names
Caryl Williamson
16:11 AEST Sun Apr 28 2013

John Singleton can be compelled to name names when he appears at a reconvened stewards inquiry into his allegations bookmaker Tom Waterhouse knew More Joyous could not win Saturday's All Aged Stakes.

At the initial inquiry, the high-profile businessman refused to divulge the names of "trusted friends" who had told him Waterhouse was saying before the race there was a problem with the Singleton-owned mare trained by the bookie's mother Gai.

Tom Waterhouse has denied Singleton's public claims and says he backed More Joyous, who finished second last, and that the win by All Too Hard was a $300,000-plus worse result for him.

Singleton made the accusations in pre and post-race interviews and announced after the race his 35-year association with the trainer was over.

Racing NSW chief steward Ray Murrihy said as a registered owner Singleton would be asked to name the people who gave him the information at Friday's inquiry if it was deemed relevant.

"If we think it is pertinent to the inquiry, John Singleton will be asked to tell us who these people were," Murrihy said.

"Tom Waterhouse will also be asked to come to the inquiry."

"We will examine all betting records on the race before then.

At Saturday's inquiry, Gai Waterhouse said the mare had been treated with antibiotics on Thursday for heat in her neck, something she and her vet Leanne Begg considered minor.

More Joyous was examined by Begg and Singleton's vet on Saturday morning and both agreed she was fit to race.

Stewards have collected treatment records from the Waterhouse stable.

Singleton told the inquiry he would only reveal the names of those who told him there was a problem with the mare if he was legally obliged to do so.

Murrihy responded by saying his panel needed to establish if there was any substance to the allegations made.

"We cannot put much weight on racecourse tattle," he said.

"Millions of dollars are being invested on the race and we need to get to the bottom of this and find out if Tom Waterhouse is being misrepresented in this."

Among the people Singleton refused to name was one he said was a retired Group One winning jockey.

Retired NRL star Andrew Johns has denied reports in Fairfax Media he was one of the people involved.

Singleton removed seven horses from the Waterhouse stable on Sunday and said he would announce new trainers in the coming weeks.