Search
Everyone fooled by Lacrosse trick playEveryone fooled by Lacrosse trick play Rams’ trick NFL punt return playRams’ trick NFL punt return play Kobe blames rape trial for wife’s miscarriageKobe blames rape trial for wife’s miscarriage
advertisement
Most popular articles
$10,000 up for grabsSign-up for NRL, AFL
and Rugby tipping
Aussie return: Kyle Noke books next fight at UFC AdelaideAussie return: Kyle Noke books next fight at UFC AdelaideIn his first official statement since testing positive to steroids yesterday, UFC superstar Anderson Silva plans to fight the 'allegations' against him. UFC's Rousey scores the only free ticket to Mayweather vs. PacquiaoUFC's Rousey scores the only free ticket to Mayweather vs. PacquiaoWhen former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva tested positive for anabolic steroids today, his entire legacy as a prize fighter was called into question. UFC queen Ronda Rousey lands starring role in action film 'Mile 22' UFC queen Ronda Rousey lands starring role in action film 'Mile 22' Anderson Silva's doctor has said that the former UFC champion denies taking performance enhancing drugs, and wants to be tested again. Bellator files court injunction to nix 'Rampage' Jackson's UFC return Bellator files court injunction to nix 'Rampage' Jackson's UFC return Busted for PEDS today, you won't believe what former UFC champ Anderson Silva told Jon Jones (who recently tested positive to cocaine) at UFC 183. Sprint fighter: Rousey pockets $12k per second for UFC 184 winSprint fighter: Rousey pockets $12k per second for UFC 184 winThe MMA world is in shock after UFC 183 headliners Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz both tested positive to banned substances. Fighter reactions here. On-air battle: UFC's Tom Wight goes head-to-head with fired-up radio host On-air battle: UFC's Tom Wight goes head-to-head with fired-up radio host Both Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz have failed drug tests following UFC 184. Silva tested positive for an anabolic steroid, while Diaz tested for marijuana.
Wide World of Sports TV partners
Wide World of SportsCatch up with Ken Sutcliffe and the team on Wide World of Sports.NRL Footy ShowFatty and the gang bring you an entertaining look at rugby league.AFL Footy ShowAustralia's favourite team takes you through the week in AFL.Footy ClassifiedOur award winning panel tell it how it really is in the AFL world.
Nikolic disqualification reduced on appeal
By Mike Hedge
18:33 AEST Tue Feb 19 2013

Embattled jockey Danny Nikolic has been offered "a way back" from racing exile by the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal which has reduced his two-year disqualification.

Nikolic, who was banned after being found guilty of threatening and abusing chief steward Terry Bailey, had his penalty varied to a one-year disqualification to be followed by a 12-month suspension.

VCAT vice-chairman Michael Macnamara said he also considered the result of the Damien Oliver betting scandal in agreeing with Nikolic's claim his original sentence was effectively a life ban.

"This is an opportunity to provide a way back," Macnamara said.

In one of the most bitterly fought racing cases in decades, Nikolic threatened Bailey during a race meeting at Seymour in September, telling him he knew where he and his family lived.

He also launched a torrent of obscene abuse at Bailey.

Nikolic pleaded not guilty, but admitted at a later appeal hearing he had lied about vital aspects of the case against him.

He was also found to have lied when he denied threatening a prosecution witness.

His appeal against the verdict of the Racing Appeals and Disciplinary (RAD) Board was dismissed by VCAT last month.

But the judge who rejected his appeal reduced the severity of the sentence on Tuesday.

Macnamara said he accepted the submission of defence counsel Jack Rush, QC, that Nikolic's offending was not in the same league as Oliver's.

"I accept Mr Rush's submission that this doesn't touch on integrity in the same way as Oliver's," Macnamara said.

Oliver received an eight-month disqualification followed by a two-month suspension after pleading guilty to betting $10,000 on a rival horse in a race in which was riding.

The penalty has been widely viewed as inadequate.

Macnamara also accepted that Nikolic had been under extreme personal pressure at the time of the offence from allegations of race-fixing and the unfounded suspicion attached to him following the so-far unsolved murder of his ex father-in-law Les Samba.

At the same time he agreed with the submission counsel for the stewards, Sandeep Mukerjea that Nikolic's "calculated assault" on the chief steward deserved a serious penalty.

"Anything less ... would fall short of the expectations of the racing community," he said.

Nikolic can resume riding trackwork and associating with other licensed people from September 5, but cannot resume riding in races for a further 12 months.