Hawthorn forward Lance Franklin has reportedly put AFL contract talks on hold until the end of the season.
Franklin, considered one of the best players in the league, will become a restricted free agent after the 2013 season and is yet to to commit to a new contract with the Hawks.
Melbourne newspaper The Herald Sun says Hawthorn were stunned when Franklin turned down a lucrative deal worth between $900,000 and $1 million a season for up to four years.
"Buddy has 12 months to go on his contract and he wants to concentrate on playing," Franklin's manager Liam Pickering was quoted as saying in Saturday's Herald Sun.
"He said he didn't want the distraction of a contract and he has advised me talks are off until the end of the season.
"He doesn't want to entertain discussions and, whilst Hawthorn aren't happy, that's how it is, unfortunately."
Pickering has previously indicated Franklin is likely to remain a Hawk.
But given the 26-year-old's status in the game, the speculation about his future will be every bit as intense as what Collingwood's Travis Cloke faced last year.