Search
NT government ends Brumbies agreement
23:47 AEST Thu Jan 31 2013

The Northern Territory government is ending an agreement with the Brumbies to stage a trial rugby union match each year, saying it's not worth the money considering it gets so little exposure.

NT Sport and Recreation Minister Matt Conlan on Thursday said the government would not continue its three-year contract with the Canberra-based franchise.

"When it comes to sport in the Territory, I want to get the best bang for Territorians' buck," Conlan said.

"While the Northern Territory has enjoyed a good relationship with the Canberra (sic) Brumbies, we simply can't justify paying $300,000 for a trial game with no television coverage or national exposure," he said.

He cited high debt levels left over from the previous Labor administration, which left office in August last year, as the reason for the axing of the agreement.

"The Territory government wants the big games," he said.

This is not the first time the Country Liberal Party government in the NT has de-funded a sporting event.

In October last year the government cancelled the 2013 Arafura Games, saying the move saved taxpayers $3.5 million.

The Brumbies are scheduled to play the Western Force in Darwin on Friday night.

Reds beaten at home by Sharks
advertisement
Most popular articles
$10,000 up for grabsSign-up for NRL, AFL
and Rugby tipping
Wide World of Sports TV partners
Wide World of SportsCatch up with Ken Sutcliffe and the team on Wide World of Sports.NRL Footy ShowFatty and the gang bring you an entertaining look at rugby league.AFL Footy ShowAustralia's favourite team takes you through the week in AFL.Footy ClassifiedOur award winning panel tell it how it really is in the AFL world.