Search
Stolen NASCAR recovered in GeorgiaStolen NASCAR recovered in Georgia NBA dancer sinks no-look half-court shotNBA dancer sinks no-look half-court shot Maxwell’s choking taunt backfires in NZMaxwell’s choking taunt backfires in NZ
advertisement
Most popular articles
$10,000 up for grabsSign-up for NRL, AFL
and Rugby tipping
Remarkable Ronda: UFC fighters react to Rousey's perfect victoryRemarkable Ronda: UFC fighters react to Rousey's perfect victoryIn his first official statement since testing positive to steroids yesterday, UFC superstar Anderson Silva plans to fight the 'allegations' against him. Rousey the incredible: UFC champ defends title with 14 second  submission victoryRousey the incredible: UFC champ defends title with 14 second submission victoryWhen former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva tested positive for anabolic steroids today, his entire legacy as a prize fighter was called into question. A new Holm: 18 X boxing world champ successful in UFC debutA new Holm: 18 X boxing world champ successful in UFC debutAnderson Silva's doctor has said that the former UFC champion denies taking performance enhancing drugs, and wants to be tested again. Foaming at the mouth: Ellenberger submits Koscheck at UFC 184Foaming at the mouth: Ellenberger submits Koscheck at UFC 184Busted for PEDS today, you won't believe what former UFC champ Anderson Silva told Jon Jones (who recently tested positive to cocaine) at UFC 183. Aussie down: savage elbow drops Walsh at UFC 184Aussie down: savage elbow drops Walsh at UFC 184The MMA world is in shock after UFC 183 headliners Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz both tested positive to banned substances. Fighter reactions here. Brock Lesnar turns up to UFC 184, breaks the internetBrock Lesnar turns up to UFC 184, breaks the internetBoth Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz have failed drug tests following UFC 184. Silva tested positive for an anabolic steroid, while Diaz tested for marijuana.
Wide World of Sports TV partners
Wide World of SportsCatch up with Ken Sutcliffe and the team on Wide World of Sports.Footy ClassifiedOur award winning panel tell it how it really is in the AFL world.NRL Footy ShowFatty and the gang bring you an entertaining look at rugby league.AFL Footy ShowAustralia's favourite team takes you through the week in AFL.
Regional Aust ripe for NBL expansion: Gaze
Rob Forsaith
12:48 AEST Mon Jan 28 2013

Australian basketball icon Andrew Gaze wants the NBL to look at the nation's regional centres when it comes time to expand the league.

Basketball Australia (BA) board member Gaze, a five-time Olympian and flag bearer at the 2000 Sydney Games, says the Boomers will benefit when BA feel confident enough to grow the national league.

While recognising the importance of expansion, Gaze is all too familiar with the NBL's dark days and aware of the need for sustainable growth.

With BA rejecting a bid for a second Melbourne team late last year, expansion is considered most likely in Brisbane.

Former Brisbane Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen has joined a noted push for a revival of the Brisbane Bullets, who folded in 2008 when owner Eddy Groves handed back his licence to the NBL.

Gaze, a seven-time NBL most valuable player, believes having a Brisbane team in the league is "very, very important".

But the 47-year-old has a more long-term view of where the NBL should extend its borders to.

"Brisbane. Another team in Melbourne ... certainly Sydney you would expect could be able to sustain two teams," Gaze told AAP.

"But ... places like Newcastle, Geelong, Hobart (could field teams). Those areas that have had past experiences in the NBL.

"If the model is right and the formula is right, then I don't know why there can't be teams in those areas as well.

"There's certainly been enough evidence to say cities and towns of that size can support a team.

"Those towns have got tremendous passion and the regional teams usually get great exposure - look what happened in Cairns and Townsville."

Quite apart from BA's bottom line, Gaze noted expansion needed to happen for those young guns on the rise.

"We need to ensure that we've got enough domestic opportunities for those players," he said.

"So they can develop their skills and ... you get a bigger pool to draw on for international competitions."

BA chief executive Kristina Keneally noted expansion was "one of the most serious decisions" that confronted her organisation.

The former NSW premier made no apologies for taking a slow-and-steady approach to expansion.

"In the past we've seen clubs fail to survive. There's not a big margin there," Keneally said.

"I would rather say no to an expansion that might give us a year or two of excitement, but ultimately would disappoint fans and other clubs.

"Expansion is critical to the future of the NBL ... but it requires a team to have a sustainable financial model."

As such, there was no definite timetable for expansion.

As for the regional centres mentioned by Gaze, Keneally noted community support would be a major factor in any new NBL licences handed out by BA.

"In the past we've relied heavily on private ownership. There is no doubt private ownership is incredibly important," she said.

"But if you look at the clubs in our competition that do well off and on the court, they're the ones with a strong community and membership base."