Cricket Australia is pulling its controversial Third Umpire Intervention System with immediate effect.
The system, which has been heavily criticised by coaches and players, won't be used for Wednesday's one-day cup clash at the MCG between Victoria and South Australia.
The on-field umpire can still refer decisions to the third umpire to determine run-outs, stumpings, hit-wicket, obstructing the field, and close boundary calls, CA said in a statement on Wednesday.
Cricket operations manager Sean Cary said CA was reluctant to alter playing conditions mid-season but had listened carefully to feedback from all the stakeholders who felt the system was sometimes inconsistent and could cause delays in play.
"We assessed the impact the system was having on the competition and we believed there were sufficient reasons to discontinue the intervention system following unanimous support from the state teams," he said.
"The CA Playing Conditions Committee will continue to discuss the best model for a review system that can be used in these two competitions in the future."
CA made the announcement in a statement released to the media during Wednesday's Victoria-South Australia match.
Under the system used earlier in the season, the third umpire was allowed to review a decision if he saw a replay in time and viewed it as a controversial call.
This led to some batsmen hanging around once they'd been given out, hoping the third umpire would decide to do a review.
"Coaches, players and umpires alike are all pretty confused and frustrated by this system, which was clearly evident on several occasions tonight," South Australia coach Darren Berry said after a match against Western Australia on November 18.
Tasmania skipper George Bailey has described the system as shocking and embarrassing.