More Sites
Search
One-armed toddler plays golf like a proOne-armed toddler plays golf like a pro Bombers legend pranks former teammatesBombers legend pranks former teammates Skater's dream ride at Playboy MansionSkater's dream ride at Playboy Mansion
advertisement
Most popular articles
Win $5000Grab Shapes for the ultimate footy-fan prize
Wide World of Sports TV partners
AFL Footy ShowAustralia's favourite team takes you through the week in AFL.NRL Footy ShowFatty and the gang bring you an entertaining look at rugby league.Wide World of SportsCatch up with Ken Sutcliffe and the team on Wide World of Sports.Footy ClassifiedOur award winning panel tell it how it really is in the AFL world.
AFL backs Crows' self-imposed penalty
By Sam Lienert
18:56 AEST Wed Nov 21 2012

Adelaide have made a down payment on their expected heavy penalties from the Kurt Tippett saga, volunteering to give up their first two picks in Thursday night's national draft.

The extraordinary move was made on Wednesday in consultation with the AFL, with the league's football operation manager Adrian Anderson endorsing the Crows' gesture and saying it would count against any future sanction.

"This is something that will definitely be taken into account in Adelaide's favour as an appropriate step, should they be found guilty, on the question of sanction," Anderson told reporters on the Gold Coast, where the draft will be held.

The Crows have given up picks 20 and 54, with their first pick now 62.

Under AFL draft rules, they must still use three choices, meaning they will have to draft players with picks 62 and 81 although they will use their other selection, No.95, to upgrade forward Ian Callinan from the rookie list.

They have already secured highly-rated local youngster Brad Crouch through last year's mini-draft.

Adelaide, Tippett, Crows chief executive Steven Trigg, their current football operations manager Phil Harper and his predecessor John Reid will all front the AFL Commission on November 30 to answer a total of 11 charges.

Even if the club is cleared, they will not be recompensed for the draft picks given up.

That seems a clear sign that the Crows are resigned to being found guilty and made to pay a heavy price through the draft, although they described their move as a gesture of good will and common sense.

Anderson said it did not amount to an admission of guilt.

But he was happy to see the Crows opt out of the early stages of the draft.

"It's better for the game that they don't (use those picks) in all the circumstances," he said.

"I think it's the right thing and something that had to happen."

The future of Tippett, who is hoping to join reigning premiers Sydney, remains uncertain.

He potentially faces a ban from the game and will have to wait for the commission hearing to find out whether he can join the Swans as a free agent or ends up in the pre-season draft, where Greater Western Sydney are expected to pounce.

Anderson also said the prospect of further charges could not be ruled out, as investigators continued to examine the Crows' dealings.


You need the latest version of Flash Player.
Enjoy the most vivid content on the web
Watch video without extra features
Interact with applications on your favourite sites
Upgrade now