Connections of Australian mare Ortensia are making contingency plans to replace William Buick in Saturday's Sprint Cup but remain hopeful he can ride.
Leah Gavranich, who has been overseeing Ortensia's summer in Britain which includes victory in the Group One Nunthorpe Stakes, admits she will be devastated if a change of rider is required.
Buick is committed to riding Nathaniel in the Irish Champion Stakes on the same afternoon but hopeful he can also partner Ortensia earlier in the day then travel across the Irish Sea by helicopter.
The Leopardstown feature is not due off until 5.45pm with the Sprint Cup at Haydock at 3.25pm.
"William is very important. I'd probably go as far to say that he has a better partnership with the mare than anyone else that has ridden her," Gavranich told At The Races.
"He just seems to understand the horse a lot better and early on in her races he doesn't push her around and gives her the time to find her feet. I think that really tells at the end of her races and he gets quite a tune out of her.
"Hopefully he's free to ride them both, but obviously he has to ride Nathaniel for John Gosden, so we'll be looking around for a back-up plan I'm sure.
"There's a few things in the pipeline, but I'll definitely be devastated if William can't take the ride."
Buick will wait until later in the week before making a firm decision on his plans.
"There are no definite plans at this stage," he said.
"Obviously I would very much like to ride both horses. It is still possible I could do both, but my loyalty is to John Gosden.
"I haven't made a firm decision yet. It is still five days away and in racing terms that is quite a long time, so we'll see."
Gavranich says potential replacements for Buick have been discussed, but she is not naming names.
"There are a few other names being thrown around, but I'll have to leave that under wraps for now," she said.