More Sites
Search
NBL import faces big ban for shocking hitNBL import faces big ban for shocking hit Fans go nuts for ‘pitcher’ peanut vendorFans go nuts for ‘pitcher’ peanut vendor Coach says 'f--k you' to reporterCoach says 'f--k you' to reporter
advertisement
Most popular articles
Behind the scenesSpotted: When athletes
aren't being athletes
Wide World of Sports TV partners
Footy ClassifiedOur award winning panel tell it how it really is in the AFL world.NRL Footy ShowFatty and the gang bring you an entertaining look at rugby league.AFL Footy ShowAustralia's favourite team takes you through the week in AFL.Wide World of SportsCatch up with Ken Sutcliffe and the team on Wide World of Sports.
Bombers still confident of NRL bid
Wayne Heming and Steve Jancetic
19:16 AEST Wed Aug 22 2012

Brisbane Bombers expansion bid boss Craig Davison remains confident of getting a start in the NRL despite the ARL Commission seemingly pouring cold water on any increase of teams in the near future.

One of the key elements to arise from the $1.025 billion broadcast deal announced on Tuesday was the apparent disinterest from rights holders for more games.

"The indication through the discussions was that there was minimal value that we would see come through broadcast deal as a result of introducing two new teams," ARLC interim chief executive Shane Mattiske said.

"The fact that there isn't additional value that will come through the broadcast deal for a ninth game is a factor in the consideration of expansion.

"However there are a number of other things that we would look to in forming a view."

That view will be part of the game's strategic plan, which is currently being formed by the ARLC.

Davison is confident the need for an increased presence in Brisbane will form part of that plan, which would give broadcasters the possibility of having a game in the Queensland capital every weekend.

"I firmly believe Brisbane will get another team at some point in time and I believe that point of time will be sooner, rather than later," Davison told AAP.

He said Nine Network boss David Gyngell had noted in announcing the record TV rights seal that Brisbane was rugby league's "strongest market".

"He's clearly said previously that Brisbane needs another team," said Davison.

"I can't pre-empt what might or might not happen, but I certainly believe that when the strategic plan comes out it will give a much better indication of where (expansion) teams might go."

There had been speculation the ARLC would look to expand the competition as early as 2015, having previously stated it would look closely at the issue once a new broadcast deal was in place.

Seven consortiums - the NSW Central Coast, Papua New Guinea, Perth, Central Queensland, Western Queensland Corridor (Ipswich), Wellington and the Bombers - have expressed interest in being part of any expansion.


You need the latest version of Flash Player.
Enjoy the most vivid content on the web
Watch video without extra features
Interact with applications on your favourite sites
Upgrade now