Search
Stolen NASCAR recovered in GeorgiaStolen NASCAR recovered in Georgia NBA dancer sinks no-look half-court shotNBA dancer sinks no-look half-court shot Maxwell’s choking taunt backfires in NZMaxwell’s choking taunt backfires in NZ
advertisement
Most popular articles
$10,000 up for grabsSign-up for NRL, AFL
and Rugby tipping
Remarkable Ronda: UFC fighters react to Rousey's perfect victoryRemarkable Ronda: UFC fighters react to Rousey's perfect victoryIn his first official statement since testing positive to steroids yesterday, UFC superstar Anderson Silva plans to fight the 'allegations' against him. 'Cyborg' vs. Rousey next? Dana White's coy response'Cyborg' vs. Rousey next? Dana White's coy responseWhen former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva tested positive for anabolic steroids today, his entire legacy as a prize fighter was called into question. Ladies night: When four women took over the most physical sport in the world Ladies night: When four women took over the most physical sport in the world Anderson Silva's doctor has said that the former UFC champion denies taking performance enhancing drugs, and wants to be tested again. Rousey the incredible: UFC champ defends title with 14 second  submission victoryRousey the incredible: UFC champ defends title with 14 second submission victoryBusted for PEDS today, you won't believe what former UFC champ Anderson Silva told Jon Jones (who recently tested positive to cocaine) at UFC 183. A new Holm: 18 X boxing world champ successful in UFC debutA new Holm: 18 X boxing world champ successful in UFC debutThe MMA world is in shock after UFC 183 headliners Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz both tested positive to banned substances. Fighter reactions here. Foaming at the mouth: Ellenberger submits Koscheck at UFC 184Foaming at the mouth: Ellenberger submits Koscheck at UFC 184Both Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz have failed drug tests following UFC 184. Silva tested positive for an anabolic steroid, while Diaz tested for marijuana.
Wide World of Sports TV partners
Footy ClassifiedOur award winning panel tell it how it really is in the AFL world.AFL Footy ShowAustralia's favourite team takes you through the week in AFL.NRL Footy ShowFatty and the gang bring you an entertaining look at rugby league.Wide World of SportsCatch up with Ken Sutcliffe and the team on Wide World of Sports.
AFL star Beams re-signs with Collingwood
By Sam Lienert
18:15 AEST Thu Aug 16 2012

Re-signed Collingwood midfielder Dayne Beams says individuals sometimes need to pay a price to be part of a successful AFL club.

In what could be interpreted as a message to in-demand teammate Travis Cloke and other out-of-contract Magpies, Beams also said he was happy to have contract distractions out of the way before the finals.

The 22-year-old, who withdrew from Collingwood's grand final side last year rather than play with a groin injury, has committed to the Magpies until the end of 2015.

He has stepped up this year in the absence of injured star Luke Ball to the extent that he is among the competition's top 10 Brownlow Medal fancies.

Beams is averaging more than 30 disposals per game and was best afield in last weekend's win over top-placed Sydney, with 34 touches and three goals, including the sealer.

"Dayne is rapidly becoming the player many suspected he could be," Magpies football manager Geoff Walsh said.

Walsh said Beams, like other Magpies that have signed contracts this season, was putting team success first.

Asked whether the recent decision to stall contract talks with Cloke had helped speed up Beams' deal, Walsh said there was room for every player who "wants to be part of Collingwood."

"The thing is, you've got to want to be part of Collingwood, so if you want to be part of Collingwood, we'll be able to accommodate you," Walsh said.

Along with Cloke, who is fielding five-year, $1 million-per-season offers from Fremantle and Melbourne among numerous suitors, the Magpies still need to re-sign players including Sharrod Wellingham, Ben Reid, Harry O'Brien and Tyson Goldsack.

Asked if he had a message for those yet to commit, Beams said success came when players made sacrifices to stick together.

"I don't know what goes on inside other guys' heads but for me it was just, if you want to be at a successful organisation, I think you've got to pay a price sometimes," he told reporters, according to the AFL website.

"I think we've seen over the years at Geelong, with those teams and successful sides, all their players have stuck together and as you can see now, they've been a really successful team for a long period of time."

Meanwhile, Richmond's Kelvin Moore and Brad Miller have announced their AFL retirements, effective immediately.

Defender Moore has had two seasons wrecked by severe hip injuries.

Former Melbourne forward Miller has added depth in attack in 24 games over two years with the Tigers, who picked him up as a mature-aged rookie.