Search
Windies fielder takes a boundary beautyWindies fielder takes a boundary beauty Bumbling cricketers blow wicket chanceBumbling cricketers blow wicket chance Keeper pulls off amazing double saveKeeper pulls off amazing double save
advertisement
Most popular articles
$10,000 up for grabsSign-up for NRL, AFL
and Rugby tipping
Live stream: UFC 184: Rousey vs. Zingano weigh insLive stream: UFC 184: Rousey vs. Zingano weigh insIn his first official statement since testing positive to steroids yesterday, UFC superstar Anderson Silva plans to fight the 'allegations' against him. 51 year old Shamrock books clash with YouTube sensation Kimbo Slice. No, seriously..51 year old Shamrock books clash with YouTube sensation Kimbo Slice. No, seriously..When former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva tested positive for anabolic steroids today, his entire legacy as a prize fighter was called into question. UFC 184: Rousey vs. Zingano - preview and staff predictionsUFC 184: Rousey vs. Zingano - preview and staff predictionsAnderson Silva's doctor has said that the former UFC champion denies taking performance enhancing drugs, and wants to be tested again. Aussie Richy Walsh intent on 'damaging' former male-model Jouban at UFC 184 Aussie Richy Walsh intent on 'damaging' former male-model Jouban at UFC 184 Busted for PEDS today, you won't believe what former UFC champ Anderson Silva told Jon Jones (who recently tested positive to cocaine) at UFC 183. Is UFC champion Ronda Rousey MMA's Mike Tyson? Is UFC champion Ronda Rousey MMA's Mike Tyson? The MMA world is in shock after UFC 183 headliners Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz both tested positive to banned substances. Fighter reactions here. Watch: UFC 184 embedded series and extended previewWatch: UFC 184 embedded series and extended previewBoth Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz have failed drug tests following UFC 184. Silva tested positive for an anabolic steroid, while Diaz tested for marijuana.
Wide World of Sports TV partners
AFL Footy ShowAustralia's favourite team takes you through the week in AFL.NRL Footy ShowFatty and the gang bring you an entertaining look at rugby league.Footy ClassifiedOur award winning panel tell it how it really is in the AFL world.Wide World of SportsCatch up with Ken Sutcliffe and the team on Wide World of Sports.
McDonald deserves Socceroos chance: Osieck
By Rob Forsaith
20:29 AEST Wed Aug 8 2012
Socceroos striker Scott McDonald.
Scott McDonald has been recalled to the Socceroos squad for the upcoming friendly against Scotland.

A knee injury to Josh Kennedy has opened the door for striker Scott McDonald to rejoin the Socceroos and perhaps finally bag an elusive international goal.

McDonald - a polarising figure among Australia's football fans and yet to find the back of the net in 25 internationals - was named in a 20-man squad that will tackle Scotland in an Edinburgh friendly on Wednesday.

While Kennedy, Harry Kewell and Tim Cahill will be absent, 28-year-old McDonald will return to the country where he made his name as a star striker for Celtic, banging in goals for fun.

Australian coach Holger Osieck expects Kennedy to return for the side's next 2014 World Cup qualifier - against Jordan on September 11.

But Osieck says McDonald could still play a role in the Socceroos' final round of World Cup qualifying.

"If you look at our attacking group, some of the boys are not ready - so I included him (McDonald) again," Osieck said.

"I'm always following all the boys and I think he's doing pretty well in pre-season. He's scoring goals for his club team (Middlesbrough).

"I want to see him help the team and be a serious contender for an attacking spot for the upcoming games.

"When you recall his recent history, he was very unfortunate after a very good performance in Wales."

McDonald, who was cut from Australia's 2010 World Cup squad on the eve of the tournament, played one of his best games, under Osieck, last year on August 10.

However, after the 2-1 friendly win over Wales, he was beset by hamstring and knee issues.

McDonald fell behind a long queue of promising attackers, but never became the forgotten man of Australian soccer.

"Nobody's ever forgotten. I'm still monitoring everybody very closely," Osieck said.

This is something 33-year-old Archie Thompson, the A-League's sole representative in the squad, can attest to.

After serving as right-back in the Socceroos' last-start drawn World Cup qualifiers against Oman (away) and Japan (home), Jade North was omitted due to a calf injury.

Kewell, yet to sign a new club deal after cutting ties with A-League side Melbourne Victory and returning to England, wasn't considered.

However Lucas Neill, also without a team, will captain the Socceroos for the 50th time.

"He (Neill) has been working with teams and clubs and he's close to re-signing again with one of the Middle Eastern teams," Osieck said.

"In his role as captain, he's very important to me and the team."

Defenders Jason Davidson and Ryan McGowan were given their first call-ups, while Chris Herd is also in line to make his national debut after withdrawing from two previous squads due to injury.

Osieck wouldn't promise the untried youngsters time on the pitch, but suggested "there's a lot of open questions and I think we'll get the answers in the upcoming camp in Scotland".