Search
Stolen NASCAR recovered in GeorgiaStolen NASCAR recovered in Georgia NBA dancer sinks no-look half-court shotNBA dancer sinks no-look half-court shot Maxwell’s choking taunt backfires in NZMaxwell’s choking taunt backfires in NZ
advertisement
Most popular articles
$10,000 up for grabsSign-up for NRL, AFL
and Rugby tipping
Remarkable Ronda: UFC fighters react to Rousey's perfect victoryRemarkable Ronda: UFC fighters react to Rousey's perfect victoryIn his first official statement since testing positive to steroids yesterday, UFC superstar Anderson Silva plans to fight the 'allegations' against him. Rousey the incredible: UFC champ defends title with 14 second  submission victoryRousey the incredible: UFC champ defends title with 14 second submission victoryWhen former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva tested positive for anabolic steroids today, his entire legacy as a prize fighter was called into question. A new Holm: 18 X boxing world champ successful in UFC debutA new Holm: 18 X boxing world champ successful in UFC debutAnderson Silva's doctor has said that the former UFC champion denies taking performance enhancing drugs, and wants to be tested again. Foaming at the mouth: Ellenberger submits Koscheck at UFC 184Foaming at the mouth: Ellenberger submits Koscheck at UFC 184Busted for PEDS today, you won't believe what former UFC champ Anderson Silva told Jon Jones (who recently tested positive to cocaine) at UFC 183. Aussie down: savage elbow drops Walsh at UFC 184Aussie down: savage elbow drops Walsh at UFC 184The MMA world is in shock after UFC 183 headliners Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz both tested positive to banned substances. Fighter reactions here. Brock Lesnar turns up to UFC 184, breaks the internetBrock Lesnar turns up to UFC 184, breaks the internetBoth Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz have failed drug tests following UFC 184. Silva tested positive for an anabolic steroid, while Diaz tested for marijuana.
Wide World of Sports TV partners
Footy ClassifiedOur award winning panel tell it how it really is in the AFL world.NRL Footy ShowFatty and the gang bring you an entertaining look at rugby league.Wide World of SportsCatch up with Ken Sutcliffe and the team on Wide World of Sports.AFL Footy ShowAustralia's favourite team takes you through the week in AFL.
New York mourns the end of 'Linsanity'
Mariano Andrade
09:12 AEST Thu Jul 19 2012

New York Knicks fans awoke to the headlines none wanted to see: "End of the Lin," "Lin is Gone" - for many the loss of star point guard Jeremy Lin felt like a betrayal.

The Knicks confirmed late Tuesday they wouldn't match the Houston Rockets' three-year, $US25 million ($A24.3 million) offer for the 23-year-old.

"We're losing more than one player. He was a symbol of the city," Jason Gutierrez, a 29-year-old musician, told AFP outside the NBA Store on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan.

Just six months ago, no one apart from diehard basketball fans had heard of Jeremy Lin and Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni was even considering releasing him before his contract became guaranteed.

An injury to recently signed guard Baron Davis gave Lin his chance in February and what followed became know as "Linsanity" as the player sparked a seven-game winning streak for a team that had lost 11 of its last 13 games.

Thrilling New York fans with his clutch shooting and passing skills, he quickly became a global sensation, especially in Asia as his parents are from Taiwan and he has a grandmother from China.

He became the first player in NBA history to score at least 20 points and pass for seven assists in his first five starts.

Now his sparkling Broadway run is over, but the point guard who took New York by storm says he is excited to launch the next phase of his NBA career with the Houston Rockets.

Lin's fate had been the subject of intense speculation since he became a restricted free agent this month.

He inked an initial offer sheet from Houston, but the Knicks still had the option of keeping him and were widely expected to match the reported three-year, $US19.5 million tab from the Rockets.

However, Lin eventually signed a higher offer sheet, which included a $US14.9 million scheduled payment for the third year.

That would have cost the Knicks millions in luxury-tax penalties levied on excessive salaries.

Knicks star Carmelo Anthony called the offer "ridiculous", but still said on Monday he hoped Lin would return.

Teammate JR Smith told Sports Illustrated's website that if Lin came back on those terms, it could have led to tension in the Knicks locker room.