More Sites
Search
Track cyclist critical after horror crashTrack cyclist critical after horror crash Age can’t weary 81-year-old fitness guruAge can’t weary 81-year-old fitness guru Liverpool boss slams Balotelli over shirt swapLiverpool boss slams Balotelli over shirt swap
advertisement
Most popular articles
Behind the scenesSpotted: When athletes
aren't being athletes
Wide World of Sports TV partners
Wide World of SportsCatch up with Ken Sutcliffe and the team on Wide World of Sports.AFL Footy ShowAustralia's favourite team takes you through the week in AFL.Footy ClassifiedOur award winning panel tell it how it really is in the AFL world.NRL Footy ShowFatty and the gang bring you an entertaining look at rugby league.
Time for Saville to step up
Tom Wald And Darren Walton
15:07 AEST Mon Jul 9 2012

Wimbledon boys' champion Luke Saville has called for patience as he treads the treacherous path from the juniors to the men's tour.

He urged the Australian sporting public not to expect him to make an immediate impression like compatriots Lleyton Hewitt and Bernard Tomic did at a young age.

The South Australian teenager failed in his bid to become the first player in nearly four decades to win back-to-back boys' singles titles at SW19 on Sunday.

He was trumped by Canada's Filip Peliwo 7-5 6-4 in the final on Court One in 92 minutes.

When asked if he had played his last junior grand slam tournament, Saville said: "I think this might be it."

The 18-year-old has played a handful of matches on the second-tier of the men's tour and felt it was time to start testing himself against the big boys.

"You have to understand it is a long road and there are thousands of players out there," he said.

"All trying to make a living in the top 100, it is not an easy sport.

"I have a good platform.

"It is not always set that if you are a good junior that you go on to do great things but I am hoping in my case I can keep on improving."

Saville said he had taken some heart from the manner in which Tomic had adjusted to the big time.

"He is a great talent, amazing talent,"Saville said.

"If I am, that is amazing but if by this time next year I am maybe top 150, that would be a good improvement and transition."

Saville had been attempting to become the first player since American Billy Martin in 1974 to win the title on consecutive occasions.

Australia's Andrew Harris, son of former Australian Open quarter-finalist Anne Minter, and compatriot Nick Kyrgios took out the boys' doubles with a 6-2 6-4 win over Italy's Matteo Donati and Pietro Licciardi.


You need the latest version of Flash Player.
Enjoy the most vivid content on the web
Watch video without extra features
Interact with applications on your favourite sites
Upgrade now